We are all looking for shortcuts in life that include our eating habits as well. Frozen pizza that is available at your favorite supermarket and eatery joints has swiftly made its way into your diet. It is available and fits perfectly in our fast-paced life. All you have to do is heat them up, and you can eat while on the go.
Some people (very few) simply like to eat frozen pizza as it is, but it is not healthy, so do not try it. Coming to the way you can heat up the pizza, many ask whether or not you can microwave frozen pizza? And to give a simple answer to this question: Yes, you can microwave frozen pizza. But is it healthy? Does the taste alter? Read on to get an answer to these questions and many more.
Table of Contents
- 1 Is It Ok To Microwave Frozen Pizza?
- 2 How Long Do You Cook A Frozen Pizza In The Microwave?
- 3 What Temperature Do I Cook A Frozen Pizza At?
- 4 Is Microwaving Pizza Bad?
- 5 Can I Cook A Frozen Pizza On The Stove?
- 6 How Do You Defrost Pizza In The Microwave?
- 7 Helpful Tips to Microwave Frozen Pizza
Is It Ok To Microwave Frozen Pizza?
Yes, you can microwave frozen pizza, and many people prefer to heat it that way. However, it is not the ideal way to heat up your frozen pizza. This is because when you heat a frozen pizza in a microwave, its crust might get soft and soggy, rubbery or chewy or dry or hard.
Moreover, the cheese might not melt inside evenly and end up becoming soggy. But there are some ways through which you can prevent this and get your pizza heat up properly. One of the best ways is to follow the instructions mentioned on the microwave package, granted they are provided.
How Long Do You Cook A Frozen Pizza In The Microwave?
You have to be careful while microwaving a frozen pizza or else you would end up with a soggy mess. Generally, microwaves come with clear instructions on the side of the box.
If there is, make sure to consider the microwave wave power level in watts as well as the cooking time. This will give you the right consistency it needs to heat up the pizza. Typically following is the recommended time for microwaving a frozen pizza –
- Pizza slice – 1 to 2 minutes
- Mini pizza pack – 3 to 5 minutes
- French bread pizza – 7 to 8 minutes
- 8-9 inches pizza – 4 to 6 minutes
- 10-11 inches pizza – 5 to 7 minutes
- 11-12 inches pizza- 7 to 11 minutes
If you are reheating the leftover pizza the temperature should be kept at 165-degree Fahrenheit.
What Temperature Do I Cook A Frozen Pizza At?
Heating a frozen pizza is not a tricky task, but if you end up doing one wrong step; you could ruin the taste and texture. One of the important things to consider when cooking frozen pizza is getting the right temperature. To par-bake a store-bought pizza follow the below instructions:
- Take out the pizza from all its packaging as well as shrink wrap.
- Put your oven rack in the middle row and preheat it to 450°F.
- Put the pizza on the middle rack and bake the pizza for about 15 to 20 minutes until the pizza turns golden brown.
- Make sure that you do not put any cookie sheet or pan on the base of the pizza.
- If you are using ultra-thin frozen pizza, then you only need to bake it for 8-12 minutes at the same temperature.
Is Microwaving Pizza Bad?
Contrary to instant ramen or frozen vegetables that you can steam using a bag, pizza is not basically compatible with a microwave. And the end results always tend to be a disappointing chewy crush, with spilling cheese while oil is sliding from every direction.
To understand why microwaving pizza is bad, you need to understand how it warms the frozen pizza.
Microwaves are designed to heat food through radiation instead of heat. The emitting radiation transfers the molecules in the food, causing the food to warm up. Moreover, the water in the food is energized to convert into steam. And, this condensed steam can result in the food being soggy, overly dry, or brunt.
Another reason is that microwaving pizza tends to melt the sugar molecules present in the dough. And when the slice cools down, the molecules become hard, making your crust overly hard.
Can I Cook A Frozen Pizza On The Stove?
The best way to cook frozen pizza is in the oven. While frozen pizzas can be easily accessed, not everyone has access to an oven. So if you are looking for an effective way to cook frozen pizza while preserving its taste and texture.
Cooking pizza on the stovetop is another option you can take up if you do not want to heat up the frozen pizza. Here are the steps that you need to follow while cooking a frozen pizza on the stovetop:
- Take the pizza out of the fridge and let it defrost for an hour or so.
- Heat up a cast-iron skillet and add a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Remove the packaging of the frozen pizza and put it on the skillet.
- Put the flame to medium and cover the pan with the lid.
- You cannot estimate the exact time as it depends on the pan you’re using, the pizza you’re cooking, and on the stovetop you are cooking iron. Your pizza will be cooked when the crust appears crispy and slightly golden brown.
- Once that happens, do not take the skillet off the pan or remove the lid. Let the pizza rest off the heat for 1 or 2 minutes before you plate it up.
How Do You Defrost Pizza In The Microwave?
Frozen pizzas come in different sizes, shapes and variations. You can microwave them each with the right method. Moreover, it is fairly easy to defrost pizza using a microwave, and it only takes a couple of minutes. Depending on the size of your crust, you only need 8 to 15 minutes to cook your frozen pizza. But there is a catch to microwave your frozen pizza.
These devices are designed for browning the crust of the pizza. The radiation heat might end up making the crust soft and soggy instead of crispy. But if you are careful, you won’t have to deal with such issues. When defrosting a pizza, you can use a microwave-safe stoneware to prevent the frost from sagging. Additionally, you also get microwave crisper pans that are designed especially for this purpose.
There are no specific steps behind defrosting your pizza. All you have to do is remove the packaging and plastic wraps and put the pizza on a dish that is microwave safe. This way the steam will escape and the crust will not get clogged with water.
The time and temperature you choose to defrost are what makes or breaks the whole process. Assuming that you are using a high setting, it will take 7 to 11 minute to defrost a large pizza whereas it will take 5-7 minutes to defrost a mini pizza.
Helpful Tips to Microwave Frozen Pizza
Here are some things that you can do to avoid getting a soggy crust –
- Abstain from using metal objects or aluminium foil inside the microwave as it can cause fire and damage your appliance.
- There is no point in using a pizza stone in the microwave; it does not work
- If the label says not for microwave use, avoid using it as it can cause damage.
- Follow the right cooking instructions written on the package of frozen pizza
- Follow the directions mentioned on the side of the microwave for heating pizza
The Popularity of Frozen Pizza
People often tend to moralize convenience food, deeming them as unhealthy. Frozen pizza is one such food that is delicious, convenient and does not pose a big health hazard. It is all about eating it in the right quantity and manner.
In fact, it is better than eating all the processed and packaged food that college kids always seem to be munching on. All the ingredients in the frozen pizza are cooked; it is just a matter of heating it up before eating.
Although it is not as healthy as freshly-baked pizza, not everyone has the time or skills to work from scratch. Moreover, frozen pizzas are available in different sizes, shapes, and flavors that allow people to add variety in their diet. It is evident that solely depending on such food is an unhealthy choice; frozen pizzas can curb your hunger when you do not have anything or do not have time to cook a meal from scratch.
Pizzas have become a staple food item in every household. And, thanks to frozen pizzas, people can just store this delicious food in their freezer and eat it whenever they want. But in order to preserve the taste of pizza, you have to defrost it in the right way.
While microwaving is not generally recommended, not everyone has access to ovens. Using the wrong method to microwave the pizza can impact the quality of the crust and cheese. Above we have mentioned how you can safely and properly cook frozen pizza in the microwave and enjoy without losing its scrumptious taste.